Retirement is a big step. You will be asked to make many important decisions about your benefits and your financial security over the next few weeks and months. Our easy-to-use guide takes you step by step through the retirement process. It also gives you information about some of the other things you need to know, do, and consider making sure that your retirement starts off right.
Retirement terms to knowTo help you understand your retirement plans, here is an overview:
Your Retirement Date
PLEASE REFER TO OUR RETIREE CHECKLIST
STEP ONE: Call Your Retirement Board
Now that you have begun the retirement process, you will work closely with a retirement specialist. Your retirement specialist will be your single point of contact for the entire process until you retire. Your specialist’s job is to make the process easy and convenient—and to make sure that you retire with peace of mind.
- For Barnstable County Retirement Association, please call 1-508-775-1110 or
- For MASS Teachers Retirement System, please call 1-617-679-6877
STEP TWO: Get Started with Medicare
Medicare is our country's health insurance program for people age 65 or older. Certain people younger than age 65 can qualify for Medicare too, including those with disabilities and those who have permanent kidney failure.
- Please contact Social Security in Falmouth at 1-855-881-0212 to assist you with the Medicare enrollment process.
WORKING HOURS: 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday
TIP: START THE PROCESS THREE MONTHS OUT.
Start the retirement process about three months before you want to stop working. This will give both you and SSA enough time to get everything in place for a smooth transition.
STEP THREE: Sign Up for the Town's Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan (MEDEX)
- Once qualified for Medicare health insurance benefits (both Medicare Part A and Part B), you will be eligible and required to enroll in MEDEX (The Town Supplement Medicare insurance plan)
Forms and Helpful Information:
- BCRA Retirees/ Survivors Forms available HERE
- MTRS Retirees/ Survivors Forms available HERE
- Retirement Checklist by the Town of Nantucket
- Retirement Checklist by Social Security
- MEDICARE Guide by the Town of Nantucket
- MEDICARE packet
- Medicare Part B application CMS 40B
- Medicare part B application CMS-L54-508
- MEDICARE Handbook
- MEDEX packet
- MEDEX rate sheet
- Retiree Dental packet
- Retiree Dental Enrollment Form
- ACH Direct Deduction Form