The Department of Public Works staff consists of 33 employees in 6 divisions responsible for the maintenance of Nantucket’s infrastructure and public facilities.
The administration consists of the Public Works Director, The Town Engineer, The Facilities Manager and Office Administrators.
The Public Works Administration is responsible for providing continuous coordination to all divisions of the Department of Public Works through effective leadership in order to ensure that all the functions of the Department are carried out completely and efficiently.
The department is also responsible for the care and maintenance of town trees, and snow and ice removal.
The specific functions of this office include:
- Preparing the annual operating budget for the department and overseeing expenditures of all divisions
- Providing clerical and accounting support to the department for the processing of payrolls, purchase orders, invoices, and the management of the departmental budget
- Preparing and collecting solid waste billing
- Developing and updating the department’s long term Capital Plan for all divisions
- Supervising Department personnel, including ensuring that personnel are properly trained and motivated
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations relative to public works operations
- Receiving inquiries and complaints from citizens relative to the public works infrastructure and forwarding the information to the appropriate division for action
- Interfacing with town boards, commissions, and other departments, as well as providing coordination with state and federal agencies, other municipalities, and outside utilities relative to public works projects
The divisions within the department include:
- Solid Waste
2018 Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Saturday, April 7 Saturday, June 16
Saturday, July 28
Saturday, September 22
Saturday, October 20
Saturday, December 15
Landfill Hours - Summer
Monday - Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 a.m. - Noon
Landfill Hours - Winter
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 8 a.m. - Noon
Take It or Leave It Hours
Monday: 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: Closed
Thursday and Friday: 11 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Landfill 2018 Holiday Schedule:
Holiday Date Observed
New Year's Day Monday, January 1
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Monday, January 15
Presidents' Day Monday, February 19
Patriots' Day Monday, April 16
Memorial Day Monday, May 28
Independence Day Wednesday, July 4
Labor Day Monday, September 3
Columbus Day Monday, October 8
Veterans' Day Sunday, November 11
Thanksgiving Day Thursday, November 22
Christmas Day Tuesday, December 25
New Years Eve: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
New Years Day: Closed
*The landfill and hours of operation are maintained by the Waste Options Management Company, for current landfill hours please contact the Waste Options Office at (508) 228-4283
The mission of the Nantucket Department of Public Works is to provide public safety and to provide and maintain public services necessary for the economy, growth, and quality of life for the citizens and visitors to Nantucket.