WHAT’S NEW? All items for drop-off must be approved by TIOLI attendants. This will take time and require patience until it is your turn. To speed this process, please pre-sort your Leave-It items with like items and only bring accepted items in respectable, working condition.
Additionally, the Leave-It area and the Take-It area will be separate, i.e. items dropped off will not be immediately available in the Take-It area.
♻ All items must be fit for reuse. No broken or soiled items, building materials, mattresses, box springs, upholstered furniture, carpets, tires, large appliances, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, food, liquids, personal care products, medications, hazardous waste. Questions? Call or email DPW at 508-228-7244; email@example.com.
❌ ANY ITEM CAN BE REJECTED OR ACCEPTED AT ATTENDANTS’ DISCRETION.
Why? So the TIOLI won’t need weekly cleanouts, with an average 4 tons of items being thrown out each week, among numerous other reasons.
Have a question about this? Contact DPW. The TIOLI’s reopening and continued operation is dependent on adherence to the TIOLI rules and general civility.
- Wednesday - Friday 8 AM-2:30 PM
- Saturday 8 AM-11:30 AM
- CLOSED on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday
Remember, you may also use online and social media outlets to connect directly with someone who is interested, to ensure your items find a second home. Visit https://www.nantucket-ma.gov/2072/Take-It-or-Leave-It for more information.
Proposed improvements of the TIOLI as was presented to the Select Board on October 28, 2020, include:
- More staff
- A separate Leave-It area for dropping off items
- A separate Take-It building for shopping, with a larger building in long-term planning
- Other storage building(s) for additional reuse and recycling programs in long-term planning
- Safer parking for TIOLI patrons, separate from the Recycling Center Drop-Off parking
- Diversion of TIOLI surplus materials (AFTER having been available to Nantucketers first) to a charitable reuse market off-island.
Other opportunities for reuse
Local Free and For Sale Websites
- Buy Nothing Nantucket
- Nantucket Book Shelf
- Nantucket Children’s Consignment
- Nantucket consignment
- Nantucket Consignments
- Nantucket Consignment Returns
- Nantucket Designer Consignments
- Nantucket Furniture Finds
- Nantucket Ladies Threadup
- Nantucket Mansignments
- Nantucket Yard Sales
- The REAL Nantucket Yard & Estate Sales
Thrift and Consignment Stores
- Consignment Shop (62 Old South Road, 508-228-1408)
- Hospital Thrift Shop (17 India Street, 508-228-1125)
- Island Treasures (17 N Beach Street, 508-228-0789)
- Nantucket Creative Reuse (7c Hanabea Lane, 774-325-5046)
- The Rainbow Fleet (167 Orange Street, 508-680-1159)
- The Seconds Shop (32 Sparks Avenue, 508-228-6677)
- Commonwealth Nantucket (12 Oak St, Nantucket, MA 02554. 508-680-1399)