Sea Street 3rd Sewer Force Main Project
The Town is implementing a sewer project that will include the installation of a new sewer force main that will connect the Sea Street Pump Station (SSPS) to the Surfside Wastewater Treatment Facility (SSWWTF). The information below seeks to provide residents with answers to some basic questions (WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN & WHY) on the project. The question of HOW will be addressed later in this series of informational articles that will appear in the local newspaper and be posted on the Town’s website.
What is the project?
Per approval of the force main route by the Select Board, the project will include the installation of a new sewer force main that connects the Sea Street Pump Station (SSPS) to the Surfside Wastewater Treatment Facility (SSWWTF). The project will also include upgrades to water, sewer, and drain utilities along the Town-approved sewer force main route.
Why is the project needed?
Two sewer force mains currently connect the SSPS and the SSWWTF: a 20-inch force main installed in 1981, and a 16-inch force main installed in the 1930s and later rehabilitated in 1983-1984. These two force mains carry up to 3 million gallons per day of wastewater and account for approximately 70% of the collected sewage to the SSWWTF. Following the catastrophic failure of the 16-inch force main during the Winter of 2018, the Town conducted a study on the pipe to confirm its condition. The study concluded that due to the age and condition of the 16-inch force main, it should no longer be relied upon to convey wastewater flows from the SSPS to the SSWWTF without an additional backup pipe. As a result of the assessment, the Town has proceeded with the design and construction of a third force main from the SSPS to the SSWWTF. Once completed, the Town will be able to rehabilitate the existing aging 20-inch force main and retire the existing 16-inch force main.
Where are the project areas?
Streets included within the project area are listed to the right. A section of this force main falls within the historic downtown area. All construction will occur within the existing Town-owned right-of-way.
When will the project happen?
The design of the project was completed in August 2021 and Town received permission to Advertise and Bid the Project from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection on August 25, 2021. Construction documents will become available September 1st 2021 to all prospective bidders and a Pre-Bid conference will take place on September 14, 2021. The Bid Opening for the Project is scheduled for October 6, 2021. The bidding process will result in a competitive bid price for the construction work, and a Contractor will be chosen and notified to proceed with construction of the Project in October of 2021. Construction is expected to begin in November of 2021.
Who is coordinating the project?
- Town of Nantucket – Town Administration & Sewer Department
- Owner’s Project Representative – Hazen and Sawyer
- Design Engineer – Environmental Partners Group, Inc.
- Construction Contractor – TBD from competitive bid process
The Town is currently coordinating the Public Outreach program, which will consist of written information distributed via a series of news articles (similar to this) and posted on the Town’s website. These articles will present information regarding the construction phases of the sewer project. Another outreach component will be public meetings to discuss project information and smaller neighborhood or association-specific meetings to discuss project-specific items that are more unique to individual areas along the force main route. Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (508)-228-7200 x 7800.
- APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF PROPOSED SEWER FORCE MAIN: 18,140 LF
- APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF PROPOSED WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT: 5,360 LF
- APPROXIMATE LENGTH IF PROPOSED GRAVITY SEWER REPLACEMENT: 4,900 LF
- APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF PROPOSED STORM DRAIN REPLACEMENT: 445 LF
- STREETS INCLUDED: Sea St, Step Ln, Centr St, Lily St, Winter St, Pine St, Silver St, Pleasant St, Atlantic Ave, Surfside Rd, S. Shore Rd.
- Sea Street Pump Station Force Main N. 3 - Construction Drawings (PDF)
- Sea Street Pump Station Force Main N. 3 - Construction Specifications (PDF)
- Additional Surface Improvements Along FM Route - Presentation to Select Board, July 14, 2021 (PDF)
- Sea Street Force Main N. 3 Map (PDF)
- Sea Street Pump Station Third Force Main - September 9, 2020 Presentation (PDF)