Coastal Resilience Library
- 2019 State of U.S. High Tide Flooding with a 2020 Outlook, July 2020 (PDF)
Description: This NOAA document outlines current and future high tide flooding days to 2050. Appendix 1 has Nantucket specific data for the current and future high tide flooding days.
310 CMR: Department of Environmental Protection, Wetland Protection Act. 2014 (PDF)
Description: Regulations for All Wetlands, Additional Regulations for Coastal Wetlands, Additional Regulations for Inland Wetlands, Appendices: Prefaces to Previous Regulatory Revisions
- Accommodating climate change contingencies in conservation strategy. 2013 (PDF)
Description: Scientific discussion that looks at how species may be sensitive, susceptible, resilience and/or resistant to climate change. This paper also develops a model to gauge show species may deal with climate change.
- Accompanying Letter for Massachusetts Homeowners Handbook (PDF)
- A Community Resource Guide for Planning Living Shorelines Projects. New Jersey Resilient Coastlines Initiative. 2016 (PDF)
Description: Living shoreline and green infrastructure methods.
- American Planning Association. Planning for Infrastructure Resilience. Dec 2019 (PDF)
Description: American Planning Association guiding document on infrastructure resilience in relation to flooding and regulatory resilience.
- Beach Nourishment. MassDEP’s Guide to Best Management Practices for Projects in Massachusetts. 2007 (PDF)
Description: Methods, strategies and requirements to undertake beach nourishment in Massachusetts.
- Boston Wetlands Protection and Climate Adaption Ordinance. Dec 2019 (PDF)
Description; A new ordinance adopted by Boston on foot of recommendations from the Boston Climate Ready consultants reports.
- Characteristics and Conflicts of Municipal Coastal Resilience in Massachusetts. 2017 (PDF)
Description: A PhD thesis on coastal resilience in Massachusetts for minimalities.
- Climate Change State Profiles Massachusetts. Observed and Projected Changes in Climate and their Impacts (PDF)
Description: USGS publication that looks at all aspects of climate including rainfall, snowfall, heat days, cold days, sea level rise through both history and future projections.
- Climate Vulnerability Assessment Coastal Properties Trustees of Reservations. 2017 (PDF)
Description. Site specific report. Focus is on the vulnerability of the Trustees of Reservations property at Coskata and Coatue on Nantucket.
- Coastal Resilience & The Land Bank
Description: presentation by Rachael Freeman of the Nantucket Island Land Bank to CRAC on 9/22/2020.
- Coastal Resilience & What Nantucket is Doing (PDF)
Description: PDF of presentation to Nantucket Civic League 2/8/20 on what the Town is planning for Coastal Resilience.
- Coastal Resilience Methods (PDF)
Description: PDF of a PowerPoint presentation to CRAC on 10-1-19 on Coastal Resilience methods that may be applicable on Nantucket.
- Community Resilience Building Workshop Summary of Findings Town of Nantucket Final Report, April 2019 (PDF)
Description: Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness (MVP). Nantucket’s MVP.
- Coastal Risk Assessment and Resiliency Strategies Report (January 2020) (PDF)
Description: Town Of Nantucket Coastal Risk Assessment and Resilience Strategies. January 2020. Milone and MacBroom. Overview of risk and potential strategies that the Town may use.
- CRAC presentation Wetlands and waterways, December 2019 (PDF)
Description: Presentation on 12/3/19 to Coastal Resilience Advisory Committee by Jeff Carlson, Natural Resources Director. Presentation focused on the coastal regulations including (i) Massachusetts Waterfront Protect Act (Chapter 91), (ii) Wetlands Protection Act M.G.L 131 § 40 and (iii) Town of Nantucket Wetland Bylaw Chapter 136.
- Empowering Coastal Communities to Prepare for and Respond to Sea Level Rise and Storm-related Inundation: A Pilot Project for Nantucket Island. 2016 (PDF)
Description: Nantucket specific analysis by Mark Borrelli. Shows the most susceptible areas to flooding, and under specific storm tide conditions.
- Global and Regional Sea Level Rise Scenarios For the United States (PDF)
Description: NOAA technical report from January 2017 detailing sea level rise scenarios for the U.S.
- GZA Metocean Data Analysis and Numerical Model Simulations –Nantucket, MA June 26, 2019 (PDF)
Description: A study on wind, wave, sea level, tidal simulation, storms and other impacts on Nantucket.
- Managing biodiversity under climate change: challenges, frameworks, and tools for adaptation. 2017 (PDF)
Description: Scientific review paper outlining issues and develops a toolkit for communities to adapt to climate change. Aimed at species and biodiversity adaption, not necessarily for communities adaption. This could be used for species that Nantucket depends on such as Scallops and Striped bass, and for the key habitats and protected habitats on Island.
- Massachusetts Climate Change Adaptation Report September 2011 (PDF)
Description: From the Global Warming Act 2008. This document outlines climate change and it impacts on Massachusetts. It also described the response in terms of (1) Natural resources and habitats, (2) Key infrastructure, (3) Human health and welfare (4) Local economy and government and (5) Coastal zones and oceans.
- Massachusetts Climate Change Projections (PDF)
Description: Comprehensive document that uses observed change to model projected change to the end of the century.
- Massachusetts Climate Change Projections 2018 (PDF)
Description; an update to the 2012 climate change projections. Comprehensive document that uses observed change to model projected change to the end of the century.
- Massachusetts Homeowners Handbook (PDF)
- Nantucket Coastal Research – SB JK (PDF)
Description: Presentation on 11/19/2019 to Coastal Resilience Advisory Committee by committee members Dr. Jennifer Karberg and Dr. Sarah Bois on complete and ongoing research on coastal research that has taken place on Nantucket.
- Nantucket Coastal Resilience Plan, Kickoff meeting with CRAC November 24, 2020 & CRP Nantucket Maps and Feedback (PDF)
Description: Presentation by Arcadis and partners to CRAC on November 24, 2020 to kickoff the CRP. Also included are completed comments and feedback taken during the meeting, and maps with notes.
- Nantucket CRP_CRAC Meeting_Final20211026 (PDF)
Description: Presentation delivered by Trevor Johnson, Arcadis, to CRAC on January 26, 2021.
- Nantucket CRP_CRAC Meeting_FinalShared_20210112 (PDF)
Description: Presentation delivered by Trevor Johnson, Arcadis, to CRAC on January 12, 2021. To be continued on January 26.
- Nantucket, MA Coastal Management Plan. Town Of Nantucket 2014 (PDF)
Description: Overall and site by site management plan for named areas.
- Nantucket & Madaket Harbors Action Plan. The Nantucket and Madaket Harbors Plan Review Committee & the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources Town of Nantucket, Massachusetts. 2009 (PDF)
Description: A plan to manage Nantucket and Madaket harbors.
- North Atlantic Coast Comprehensive Study. Phase 1 Report. Statistical Analysis of Historical Extreme Water levels with Sea Level Change.
Description: A report compiled by the U. S. Army Corp of Engineers covering from Virginia to Maine and assess the flood risk in combination with climate change factors.
- Overview of Nantucket Hazard Mitigation Plan (PDF)
Description; Presentation by Vincent Murphy 2/18/20 that shows the 29 plan recommendations that relate to Coastal Resilience.
- Plans and developing plans & project evaluation method STAPLEE
Description: Two presentations to CRAC December 17, 2019 by Vince Murphy. Plans and developing plans out lines the currently existing plans that will be used in developing the Coastal Resilience Plan and also other plans and projects that are in development. An explanation of a project evaluation method used by FEMA was also presented.
- Report of the Committee on Long Pond and Madaket Ditch (PDF)
Description: A report written in 1882 and covers the history of dredging and maintenance of the Madaket ditch area from 1621 to 1880’s.
- Resilience planning, departments and resources on Nantucket. 2019 (PDF)
Description: Resilience planning team, departments and resources available and the abbreviated charge of the CRAC on Nantucket.
- Sea Level Rise Strategy. Charleston, South Carolina. 2015 (PDF)
Description: History, outline and plans for Charleston, SC developing a strategy for dealing with sea level rise and other associated clime change issues affecting the municipality.
- Sea Level Rise, presentation by Prof Chip Fletcher to CRAC, 11/6/2020 (PDF)
Description. Prof Chip Fletcher, University of Hawaii presented an over view of Sea Level Rise in terms of global causes and impacts and a focus on impacts to Hawaii.
- Sea Level Rise Projections for Nantucket (March 2021) (PDF)
Description: Presentation to CRAC on March 23, 2021 by Julia Knisel from CZM. Presentation on the state sea level rise data for Nantucket.
- Sea Level Rise: Understanding and Applying Trends and Future Scenarios for Analysis and Planning. 2013 (PDF)
Description: Massachusetts data. Specifically mentions that sea levels has risen on Nantucket by 1.15 feet, or (13.8) 14 inches in the 100 years to 2012. Also projects future sea level rise based on multiple carbon emissions sensations.
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- Storm Surge & Critical Infrastructure on Nantucket. 2015 (PDF)
Description: A Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) student let research on storm surge on Nantucket. Extremely relevant study and document. A must read for CRAC.
- Town of Nantucket 2007 Open Space and Recreation Plan. Updated 2009 (PDF)
Description: A plan to manage the open spaces on Nantucket.
- Town of Nantucket Massachusetts Recreation & Parks Master Plan November, 2019 (PDF)
Description: A plan to manage and maintain the parks and recreation areas on Island.
- Town of Nantucket Master Plan, 2009 (PDF)
Description: A master plan for the Town covering residential areas, Open spaces and Natural Resources, historical landscapes and buildings, economy & tourist base, healthy environment for residents, etc..
- Town of Nantucket Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan, 2019 (PDF)
Description: A complete and comprehensive plan to deal with all of the hazards that the town and island faces including storms, sea level rise, erosion wildfire, earthquakes etc. also specifically says that the town needs a Coastal Resilience Plan.
Description: links to website with have useful information.
Coastal resilience plans from other communities
- City of Lynn Massachusetts. Lynn Coastal Resilience Assessment, July 2016 (PDF)
Description. Lynn, MA. Assessment, before a plan.
Consultants: Weston & Sampson
- City of West Haven Coastal Resilience Plan, March 2017 (PDF)
Description. West Haven, CT.
Consultants: Milone & MacBroom, Inc., Black & Veatch Corporation
- Coastal Resilience Solutions for South Boston, October 2018 (PDF)
Description: Boston, MA.
Consultants: Arcadis, Halvorson Design Partnership, CivicMoxie, Woods Hole Group, Noble, Wickersham & Heart LLP, Harriet Tregoning
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Description: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Sea Level Rise tool. Zoom into Nantucket and move the sliders to see how the island may be impacted by Sea Level Rise.
- Town of Branford Coastal Resilience Plan June 2016 (PDF)
Description: Bradford, CT.
Consultants: Milone & MacBroom, Inc. Dewberry.
- Town of Falmouth (PDF)
Description; Community Resilience Building Workshop Summary of Findings June 2018
- Town of Guilford Community Coastal Resilience Plan Report of Options to Increase Coastal Resilience February 2013 (PDF)
Description: Gilford, CT.
Consultants: Milone & MacBroom, Inc.
- Lower Manhattan Climate Resilience Study March 2019 (PDF)
Description: Manhattan, NY. Included Sea level Rise and Storm Surge with Groundwater level rise, extreme heat, extreme precipitation.
Consultants: AECOM, HR&A Advisors, Bjarke Ingels Group, One Architecture, James Lima Planning + Development
- Town of Stratford Coastal Community Resilience Plan December 2016 (PDF)
Description: Stratford, CT.
Consultants: GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.