Sign regulation has existed in the historic districts of Nantucket and Siasconset since 1956 and throughout the island since 1972. In 1981 the Historic District Commission (HDC) of Nantucket adopted its first comprehensive set of regulations governing the design and use of signage across the island. The Historic District Commission created a committee, the Sign Advisory Council (SAC), to assist in the review of all Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) applications involving signage. These sign regulations are supplementary to the architectural regulations and have been amended from time to time since the early 1970’s.
For inquiries regarding applications within the OHD and SOHD, please contact Holly E. Backus, Preservation Planner, staff liaison to Nantucket Historical Commission and Historic District Commission. Email